Purple Hands Wines Pinot Gris 2012 Review

Posted: November 6, 2013 in Australia, Uncategorized
Tags: ,

Purple Hands Wines Pinot Gris 2012Purple Hands

Vintage: 2012

Style: Dry White

Country: Australia

Region: Adelaide Hills

Overview: There is still much confusion surrounding Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio – you’d think we would have worked it out by now. It’s definitely not the consumers’ fault; in Australia we’ve seen Pinot Gris labelled as Pinot Grigio and vice versa. As a result, the muddied water will take some time to clear. The two styles use the same grape but should be made very differently. Pinot Grigio is a simple, fresh and crisp drink. Pinot Grigio is generally fermented in stainless steel with lees stirring (lees= dead yeast; try not to think about it) used to build texture and nuttiness through the mid palate. Pinot Gris is generally picked later to maintain richness. In the winery, to add complexity, the winemaker throws more work at it, such as time in barrel, lees contact and sometimes malolatic fermentation. This wine definitely sits in the Pinot Gris spectrum with 40% of the wine fermented in oak and left on lees for eight months while the remaining 60% spent its time hanging about in stainless steel.

Tasting Note: The nose is typically Pinot Gris – pear, almonds and a little bit cheesy. There are subtle oak notes on the palate, with a lovely richness. The aromas on the nose transform into flavours on the palate with added stone fruit and custard apple notes.

Final Say: This is a wine that has escaped the ever present Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio identity crisis. $16.99 a bottle.

Score: 16 out of 20

For any questions or feedback feel free to email me on spittingoptional@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s